Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeCommunityLandowners urged to carefully plan hazard reduction burns

Landowners urged to carefully plan hazard reduction burns

Out of control hazard reduction burns have resulted in 20 fires over the last week in the Northern Tablelands area, leaving NSW Rural Fire Service volunteer firefighters to extinguish the fast moving fires.
NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) Northern Tablelands is advising landholders and managers to ensure they are well prepared before burning off on their property.
“Following a lot of heavy rain in the area, we are faced with high fuel loads that present a very real fire risk when hazard reduction burns are not conducted safely.
“The service encourages landholders to be proactive in reducing fuel loads on their property, but more importantly, we want people to conduct hazard reduction burns safely and legally,” said Supt Chris Wallbridge.
“For hazard reduction burning to be safe and effective, residents need to take weather conditions and forecasts into consideration,” he said.
“I urge everyone planning on doing any hazard reduction burning to contact their local brigade 24 hours before they light the burn, to ask for assistance.
“NSW RFS brigades are happy to help people plan and conduct safe hazard reduction burns, ensuring the safety of both landowners’ property and the broader community.
“Members can also provide advice on fire permits, hazard reduction certificates, environmental approvals and weather forecasts.
“Every landholder has a responsibility to prevent fire spreading to other properties and there can be serious consequences for the person who started the fire.
“The first priority should always be safety, so never conduct a burn if conditions are not suitable. There are alternatives to burning, including hand clearing, mowing, or slashing areas around key assets on the property,” Supt Wallbridge said.
For more information, contact the Northern Tablelands Control Centre on (02) 6732 7046 or visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Summit singles draw announced

The Summit Men’s Championship singles are set to be held this weekend with the draw released this week. All games are to be first to...
More News

Vintage holdens headed for Stanthorpe

A blast from the motoring past is coming to Stanthorpe this June, with the 35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals bringing almost 100 vintage 1960s...

Alcohol ad rules failing Australians, AMA warns

With alcohol-induced deaths at their highest rates in more than 20 years, the Australian Medical Association has called for tougher regulation of alcohol advertising...

Volunteers power animal rescue efforts

National Volunteer Week is a time to celebrate the people who quietly make our communities better. The people who give up their time as...

Hole in one for McLennan

Melanie McLennan experienced every golfer’s dream during an afternoon round on Saturday, 16 May, producing a remarkable hole-in-one on the picturesque fifth hole —...

Cirson and Flint win districts

Warwick Bowls Club’s Marian Cirson and Faye Flint have taken out the ladies district pairs held at Inglewood on Saturday and will now represent...

State urged to preserve key water basin protections

Farmers say they are relieved that key land use protections for the Condamine Alluvium will be retained following mounting concerns over proposed changes to...

Olsen wins countback

Helen Olsen has claimed the Warwick Women’s Norco-sponsored Red Stableford event held on 13 May. Olsen claimed victory on a countback from Gwen Mills after...

Australia’s oldest family circus heads to Stanthorpe

Australia’s oldest family circus returns to Stanthorpe, bringing three days of acrobatics, motorbike stunts, contortions, and archery acts to the Southern Downs. Ashton’s Great Australian...

Grief turns into 30 years of cancer fundraising

Gwen Carnell began hosting ‘Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea’ following the death of her youngest daughter Helen, aged just 33. Just months later, despite her...

YOUR SAY: Letters to the editor

One last goodbye: Mervyn Ian Caton said his last goodbye on Tuesday 12 May. He was rushed to hospital on Saturday morning with a stroke. He...