Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeCommunity4000 offences in new statewide traffic blitz

4000 offences in new statewide traffic blitz

More than 4000 traffic offences were detected in the first week of a statewide traffic operation targeting drivers ignoring ‘The Fatal Four’ ahead of the busy holiday period.
Operation Q-Blitz commenced across Queensland on November 1, aiming to reduce the number of traffic crashes on the State’s roads and send a strong message to drivers ahead of the Christmas period.
In the first week, a total of 3024 speeding offences, 88 drink driving offences, seven drug driving offences, 84 seatbelt offences and 75 heavy vehicle fatigue offences were detected.
A total of 147 drivers were issued with a fine for using their mobile phone while driving and 1019 other traffic infringement notices were issued across Queensland.
As part of the operation, more than 20,000 Random Breath Tests (RBTs) were conducted.
Police are urging drivers to consider ‘The Fatal Four’ contributing factors of road trauma (speeding, drink driving, not wearing a seatbelt and fatigue) before getting behind the wheel of their vehicle.
Deputy Commissioner Specialist Operations Ross Barnett said 241 lives had already been lost on Queensland roads this year, 21 more than the same time last year.
“Before we even start our Christmas road safety campaign, we want to send a strong message to drivers that we will be anywhere, anytime, targeting drivers ignoring our warnings in the lead-up to the holiday period,” Deputy Commissioner Barnett said.
“In the first week of Operation Q-Blitz, we have seen far too many drivers speeding and drink driving on our roads and we are urging drivers to consider the consequences of their actions.
“As we move into the busiest period of the year on our roads, officers will be doing everything they can to target drivers ignoring ‘The Fatal Four’.”
Deputy Commissioner Barnett said Operation Q-Blitz, which will run for the entire month, was part of the new Commissioner’s ongoing commitment to safer communities.
“This is the second in a series of statewide operations which will be rolled out as a coordinated approach, targeting issues affecting all regions,” Deputy Commissioner Barnett said.
Operation Q-Blitz, which was the first police operation named by social media followers, will continue across the State until November 30.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Paint under the stars at Apple and Grape

Bubbles and Brushes is back for a second time to help celebrate Stanthorpe Apple and Grape Festival’s milestone diamond jubilee year. Led by local...
More News

Four charges laid after alleged shots fired in Elbow Valley

Police have charged a 58-year-old man following an incident involving alleged shots being fired at a Cullendore Road property in Elbow Valley on Monday...

‘Business as usual’: Littleproud backs Coalition reset

It’s “business as usual” according to Nationals leader David Littleproud despite a chaotic few weeks amongst Coalition ranks in Canberra. Speaking to Sky News on...

Strong attendance tipped for Killarney Show

The population of Killarney is set to balloon this weekend with the town ready to welcome visitors from across the region and afar for...

Respected bush poets set for Apple and Grape performance

“Big laughs and class country storytelling” will kick off the second day of the Apple and Grape Festival with the Bush Poets Breakfast making...

Cattle sale numbers increase

The dry seasonal conditions in the local and not so local areas saw an increase in cattle numbers at McDougall and Sons last week...

Stanthorpe duo brave conditions

Stanthorpe Swimming Club postponed club night 14 on Friday night due to the weather, but the rain and cold conditions didn’t stop everyone from...

Keogh Road house fire deemed non-suspicious

Emergency services were called to a house fire on Keogh Road in Elbow Valley early this morning at 2:45 am. The single-storey building was fully...

Warwick Wolves two weeks from kick-off

Juniors are signing on and trial games are underway as the new-look Warwick Wolves Men’s sides gear up for their third season in the...

Big weekend for cricket

This weekend promises to be the biggest weekends of cricket on the Southern Downs and Granite Belt this year with both Warwick and Stanthorpe...

Top football to flow on

The Football Queensland Kappa Cup Pro Series match at the Stanthorpe’s International Club earlier this month could be just the first of many high...