Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeCommunity4000 offences in new statewide traffic blitz

4000 offences in new statewide traffic blitz

More than 4000 traffic offences were detected in the first week of a statewide traffic operation targeting drivers ignoring ‘The Fatal Four’ ahead of the busy holiday period.
Operation Q-Blitz commenced across Queensland on November 1, aiming to reduce the number of traffic crashes on the State’s roads and send a strong message to drivers ahead of the Christmas period.
In the first week, a total of 3024 speeding offences, 88 drink driving offences, seven drug driving offences, 84 seatbelt offences and 75 heavy vehicle fatigue offences were detected.
A total of 147 drivers were issued with a fine for using their mobile phone while driving and 1019 other traffic infringement notices were issued across Queensland.
As part of the operation, more than 20,000 Random Breath Tests (RBTs) were conducted.
Police are urging drivers to consider ‘The Fatal Four’ contributing factors of road trauma (speeding, drink driving, not wearing a seatbelt and fatigue) before getting behind the wheel of their vehicle.
Deputy Commissioner Specialist Operations Ross Barnett said 241 lives had already been lost on Queensland roads this year, 21 more than the same time last year.
“Before we even start our Christmas road safety campaign, we want to send a strong message to drivers that we will be anywhere, anytime, targeting drivers ignoring our warnings in the lead-up to the holiday period,” Deputy Commissioner Barnett said.
“In the first week of Operation Q-Blitz, we have seen far too many drivers speeding and drink driving on our roads and we are urging drivers to consider the consequences of their actions.
“As we move into the busiest period of the year on our roads, officers will be doing everything they can to target drivers ignoring ‘The Fatal Four’.”
Deputy Commissioner Barnett said Operation Q-Blitz, which will run for the entire month, was part of the new Commissioner’s ongoing commitment to safer communities.
“This is the second in a series of statewide operations which will be rolled out as a coordinated approach, targeting issues affecting all regions,” Deputy Commissioner Barnett said.
Operation Q-Blitz, which was the first police operation named by social media followers, will continue across the State until November 30.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Vintage holdens headed for Stanthorpe

A blast from the motoring past is coming to Stanthorpe this June, with the 35th annual FB-EK Holden Nationals bringing almost 100 vintage 1960s...
More News

Volunteers power animal rescue efforts

National Volunteer Week is a time to celebrate the people who quietly make our communities better. The people who give up their time as...

Hole in one for McLennan

Melanie McLennan experienced every golfer’s dream during an afternoon round on Saturday, 16 May, producing a remarkable hole-in-one on the picturesque fifth hole —...

Cirson and Flint win districts

Warwick Bowls Club’s Marian Cirson and Faye Flint have taken out the ladies district pairs held at Inglewood on Saturday and will now represent...

State urged to preserve key water basin protections

Farmers say they are relieved that key land use protections for the Condamine Alluvium will be retained following mounting concerns over proposed changes to...

Olsen wins countback

Helen Olsen has claimed the Warwick Women’s Norco-sponsored Red Stableford event held on 13 May. Olsen claimed victory on a countback from Gwen Mills after...

Australia’s oldest family circus heads to Stanthorpe

Australia’s oldest family circus returns to Stanthorpe, bringing three days of acrobatics, motorbike stunts, contortions, and archery acts to the Southern Downs. Ashton’s Great Australian...

Grief turns into 30 years of cancer fundraising

Gwen Carnell began hosting ‘Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea’ following the death of her youngest daughter Helen, aged just 33. Just months later, despite her...

YOUR SAY: Letters to the editor

One last goodbye: Mervyn Ian Caton said his last goodbye on Tuesday 12 May. He was rushed to hospital on Saturday morning with a stroke. He...

Agriculture shared with the next generation at Inaugural Warwick Moo Baa Munch

The sun was out and shining for the inaugural Warwick Moo Baa Munch, bringing agriculture into the hands of local primary school students for...

Bullecourt Boulder Bounders spread the word

Bullecourt Boulder Bounders Orienteering Club have hosted an International World Orienteering Week event at a grazing property north of Dalveen on Sunday. Club publicity officer,...